Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Life post Miss America

"Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?" -John 11:40

It has been about two months since my plane landed back in Atlanta after Miss America. I won't lie, I think it took me about three weeks to get caught up on sleep and probably five weeks to feel like I was back in the groove of things. The first few days I was back I slept, unpacked, worked out, slept, slept, and slept! That following weekend I decided to make the trip to Athens to visit Miss Georgia's Outstanding Teen Jameson, her sister Adeline, and another friend of mine. Jameson came up from her hometown of Jesup for a twirling camp, so we were able to spend some much needed time together and then go to the Miss University of Georgia preliminary pageant that night. It felt so nice to see some familiar faces in "pageant land" and say hello to everyone after coming back home. 

The Monday after Miss UGA, I was able to stop by a hotel near my house and see Mallory Hagan (Miss America!). How neat that she was already in Atlanta even though she had just been crowned a few weeks prior? Lucky me! Kirsten Haglund (Miss America 2008) was also able to come and visit.

Since then, I have continued traveling the state, making appearances at different events. Some of these include:

   Judging the Miss Wildcat pageant in Kingsland, Georgia where I also spent time with Miss Golden Isles, Carmen Turner.
   National Pancake Day at IHOP benefitting CMNH with Paul Milliken from Atlanta TV Station Fox5. I was able to talk about Miss America’s partnership with CMNH as well as my personal platform, The Sibling Support Project, on Good Day Atlanta, their morning telecast. And I cannot forget to mention I triumphed over Paul in both the pancake stacking contest AND the pancake flipping contest ;-)
   The Miss Harness Festival pageant in Hawkinsville with Therisa and Charles Patton from the Miss Georgia board. I also ran into Wanda Hampton and Debbie Herring, two of my favorite people I met while competing in the MAO.



   The Tip-A-Snake fundraiser in Columbus, Ga benefitting CMNH and featuring the Columbus Cottonmouths hockey team.
   Finally meeting Don Meyer, the founder of the Sibling Support Project (http://www.siblingsupport.org), in person at a Sibshop training session in Savannah, Ga. It was incredible to not only meet him and discuss this incredible organization, but to have the opportunity to share my personal story of growing up with a special needs brother with many adults who were becoming certified to host Sibshops. I love when I am able to use my own stories to inspire others. 
   Miss Fulton County and Miss Heart of the City preliminary pageant. I signed the National Anthem as it was beautifully sung by Kristen White and then spoke about my year and being in the Miss America Pageant. Once again, it was really enjoyable to see so many people who supported me before Miss America, and even after!
   Judging the Miss Peachtree Ridge Pageant in my hometown of Suwanee. Not only was it exciting to reconnect with people I have known since I was five years old, it was also great seeing two of my best friends from fifth and sixth grade (Breana Crump and Sally Crocker)! I was extremely impressed with all the contestants and how well run and organized the pageant was.
   EDIN (Eating Disorders Information Network) Dance Challenge 2013. I didn't go as "Miss Georgia," but I did go to support Kirsten Haglund! She was incredible and looked like she has been dancing her whole life with no time off. 
   Forum 2013 (Miss Georgia Orientation). It was SO lovely seeing all the Miss and Teen contestants, their parents, and the local boards. The weekend brought back some great memories, and the costume party theme, "Women of the World," seemed to be a big hit! I am thankful I was given the opportunity to speak to everyone who attended and shed some light on the actual job of Miss Georgia, as well as offer some positive reminders that we all tend to forget. June will be here way before I know it!

   Speaking at Kennesaw Elementary School for Exceptional Children's Week, where I was presented with a Proclamation signed by Kennesaw Mayor Mark Matthews. Once again, I loved being able to share my own story and struggles with adults in order to generate awareness about issues faced by special needs individuals and their siblings. 
   Rattlesnake RoundUp in Claxton, Ga with Adam Kennedy (a Miss Georgia Field Director)!! I will admit this was the one and only appearance all year I feared. I am not afraid of much in life, but snakes are one of my phobias! Thanks to Mr. Adam Kennedy and the amazing city of Claxton, I had an absolute blast (and I even picked up a snake with a pole and touched one). It was a fun-packed two days; judging the Miss Rattlesnake and Wildlife pageant, attending the festival the next day, eating delicious food at Gena Robert's house, visiting the Claxton Bakery (world famous for their Claxton Fruitcake), and just being surrounded by good people. It was also the first appearance my Dad and my brother Robin came to. My Dad enjoyed the snakes and Robin enjoyed being surrounded by pretty girls all weekend. 


Being Miss Georgia post-Miss America has been more relaxing for sure. I no longer have to worry about working out every day, getting to the ballet studio, studying current events, running loads of errands, etc. I like it! However, I am beginning to think about all the dancing I will be doing in June at Miss Georgia, and it looks like I need to get back into a studio ASAP. My schedule isn't slowing down at all for the next two weeks, so maybe after that ;-)


This upcoming Friday I have a meeting with the Senior Vice President of Enrollment at Mercer University. I would love nothing more than to attend Mercer to finish my degree, but a miracle would need to take place financially for that to happen. So please join me in prayer that a miracle will indeed take place (scholarship, financial aid, etc.) if Mercer is where He wants me for the next few years! Afterwards, I will head to Columbus for a Father/Daughter dance lasting until 10 p.m., then travel back toward Atlanta to stay in a hotel near the airport to sleep for all of four hours, before I fly to New York City at 7:30 a.m. Saturday morning! Since it's the Atlanta airport I need to be there at 5:30 a.m. Yay! I truly could not be more excited to go to NYC – I will get to reunite with some of the Miss America Class of 2013, have the chance to hug Mallory (Miss America 2013), and see New York for the first time. Even though I will be functioning on no sleep, I am sure I won't need any help staying awake. Since I am not able to be in New York on Thursday and Friday for events the Top 5 and other invited contestants are attending (as I was already booked for an appearance), I am going to stay until Monday night. So I will have Sunday and Monday to explore the City a little. Should be fun! 

After I come back to Atlanta next week, I'll head to Eastman, Georgia for a Heart Connection Mentoring Program on Thursday. That following Saturday I will travel to LaGrange for Little Miss Troup County! It's a busy March...but a fun one!

I was planning on just briefly recapping my "life" after Miss America and then writing about some things I have learned throughout this entire experience (especially at Miss America), but it looks like that will have to wait. This post is long enough. Be on the lookout for my next entry though. It'll be a little less about all my appearances and more "Leightonized" (the term someone recently said to me; I think it means it'll be geared more toward the inspirational/encouraging as opposed to the factual/bullet point list of events). 

"As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in Him." -Psalm 18:30

-Love in Christ,
Leighton
Twitter: @leightonjordan
Instagram: MissGa2012
Facebook: Leighton Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment