Tuesday, January 1, 2013

End of an Amazing Year and Looking Ahead


My verse/reason for competing in the MAO:
"My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." -Colossians 2:2-3

I cannot believe I am sitting here in the position I am. I rejoice in the fact that I can look to the near future, and know that no matter the outcome at Miss America, there is bound to be so much good in store. 2013 is going to be a year of excellence!!

The past six months in short:
*I built relationships with people I will always stay close to, whom I would not otherwise know; 
·     *I have been to more small towns in Georgia than I knew even existed;
·     * I witnessed the goodness in our state all the way from South Georgia to North Georgia. The hospitality I received from so many reminded me how special it is to slow down and enjoy each other's company;
·     *I worked with the nationally known Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and am honored to say they are now researching the issues surrounding siblings of special needs individuals after a meeting I had with them to bring light to this topic;
·     *I met an abundance of children who truly are "little lights" running around in this world;
·     *I brought attention to the Sibling Support Project in a state where it was not previously well known;
·     *I received some of the kindest and most thoughtful messages, emails and letters from people who barely know me;
·     *I teamed up with organizations I never knew existed, but now feel so connected to;
·     *I drove more miles in these short six months than I have in the five years I have been driving!;
·     *I learned how to find balance in the midst of a busy schedule and never ending to-do list;
·     *I attended events ranging from an archery tournament, to white water rafting, to an intense NFL game between the Atlanta Falcons and the New Orleans Saints;
·     *I learned that sometimes it is really beneficial to stop and do absolutely nothing;
·     *I found that the best moments as Miss Georgia are those when I took the time to just listen to those I was meeting; and
·     *I am so, so excited about the possibility of having six more months to continue all of these experiences, and more.

The most important, and probably the most unexpected benefit that has come from this past year: I am definitely a different person now than I was in January, 2012 - and even in June, when I was crowned Miss Georgia. The realizations I have had through meeting other people, the reliance on God I have had to maintain to keep perspective on this whole journey, the strength I have gained through battling my own trials, the truth I have learned through my daily devotion times, the memories that have been created with people from all backgrounds and of all ages, and the satisfaction I have felt at each and every appearance have truly helped me grow mentally, spiritually, and emotionally. This year has only helped me grow more into the person He hopes for me to become. I have always considered myself an avid follower of Christ, a loving daughter of my Heavenly Father, and a young woman who fears the Lord. But now, a year later, I am a fighter. I am a fighter for the Truth, a fighter for my faith, and a fighter for Him.

Life has a way of throwing curve balls when you least expect them (I am sure we can all relate to this, huh!?), and it is in those moments of confusion where our true character is defined. We always have two options when we are faced with adversity: We can turn away and fall into harm and danger; or we can realize the choice we have, take captive our thoughts and make them pleasing to God, and ask Him to redirect our thoughts and actions. No matter which option we choose, we are bound for change of some sort. Why not at least try to pick the option that guarantees a positive change? We might not experience the "good" for a week, a month, or even years. However, we can place our hope in the Lord, turn our attention to His promises, and rest in His presence. Take it from someone who knows all too well -- there are positives in every situation and challenge we face in life. Sometimes building up the courage to seek those positives in the depths of the valley seems too difficult, but it is worth it. It really is. A struggle, or struggles, will make you a fighter. They sure have for me!

Looking back on the entire year, I am able to see that 2012 was a year of newfound opportunities, precious memories, cherished relationships, and personal growth!! What has 2012 meant for you? What do you hope 2013 will be? Whatever the answer, believe great things are in store for YOU. Whether you feel like you can currently take on the world or like you have lost all hope in life, don’t be afraid to embrace change. Embrace the promise of eternity, the gift of salvation, and the HOPE that comes from the knowledge of His glory.

What is your one New Year's resolution? Most say getting healthier, spending more time with family, not drinking soda, etc. Those are all worthwhile goals, but consider what you want to learn, gain, or work on for YOUR inner self.

What's my resolution? In 2013, I want to gain more wisdom. I have recently been reading through the book of Proverbs, and it has completely captured me. It's there we read that wisdom's "ways are pleasant ways, and all her paths are peace." (Proverbs 3:17) (And how neat it is that the Bible refers to "wisdom" as "her/she"!) Let it come through His word; other people; life's circumstances, difficulties, and successes -- I want to end this year, 365 days from now, with more wisdom than I had when it started!

"My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding—indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God." -Proverbs 2:1-5

This is my last blog post before I leave for Las Vegas, so I wanted to take a quick break from packing to just say THANK YOU. Thank you for supporting me the past six months. Thank you for believing in me. And thank you for all the fun encouragement that is currently coming my way about Miss America. This past weekend was one I wish I could repeat again and again. Between the Capital City celebration with my second family, and my Miss America Send-Off Party in Columbus, Georgia, which the Miss Georgia Board so graciously hosted, I truly feel like the luckiest state titleholder going to Vegas! Now it's just time to trust in the work I have put in these past six months (actually, my whole life) and see what God has been planning all along. As I said at my send-off, I am more than okay with either outcome at Miss America because I know His Good and Perfect Will will be done. He has proven to me time and time again that He knows what is best for my life and my future. If this is the job God has chosen for me in 2013, I will embrace it with open arms and an open heart. If He knows there is something better for MY life at this moment, I will continue seeking His guidance and wait until it is revealed. I am prepared, ready and excited to do my very best, but whether I finish first or 53rd, this has been an incredible opportunity. While I would so LOVE the year-round job of Miss America, and the opportunity to make an impact on people across the nation, I don't feel any disappointment when I think about returning here to the state and the people I love so dearly to finish my year as Miss Georgia. I will be blessed either way, so I am just ready to have a great week in VEGAS and see what lies ahead! Me for Him; Him for me.

Happy New Year!!!! Make it YOUR year.

-Love in Christ,
Leighton


Here's the info for cards/gifts in Las Vegas!!
All cards should be sent in this format:
Leighton Jordan, Miss Georgia 2012, GUEST
C/O Planet Hollywood Package Center
3667 Las Vegas Blvd South
Las Vegas, NV 89109
GROUP: The Miss America Pageant, January 3 - 13, 2013
VERY IMPORTANT -- The Package Center will only accept USPS 1st Class Envelopes, Cards & Postcards WITHOUT A FEE.
IMPORTANT:
As a security measure, all packages, cards, etc. must go through Planet Hollywood’s Business Center.
* There is no charge to send USPS 1st class envelopes, cards and postcards
* FedEx, UPS, Priority and Express envelopes are charged a handling fee that you will be required to pay, unless the sender pre-pays the fee with the Business Center for you. Contact Planet Hollywood for pricing at 702-785-5565
IMPORTANT: Nothing is delivered on Saturday, January 12th (All packages must be delivered to Planet Hollywood no later than 12:00pm Friday, January 11th.
Organic packages of any kind are not accepted, especially flowers, fruit baskets, food, etc. If organic items are delivered, it will be discarded and the attached card will be forwarded to the contestant. There are no exceptions.




No comments:

Post a Comment