Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Busyness at its finest...


“For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” –Romans 8:38-39

I cannot believe it has been 27 days since my last blog post.  I planned on updating it every week, but this just goes to show I have been a bit busy. Not complaining by any means, though. I have had some really fun appearances this past month and have been on the road quite often. I sometimes laugh about what my traveling experiences would be like if I still had my poor little VW bug. Good thing that is no longer the case!

Some appearances I have recently made include:

·      The Suwanee Day Parade with Olympian Amanda Weir: Suwanee is my hometown, and they have been so supportive of me being Miss Georgia. It was the first time I was a Grand Marshall in a parade, and the first time I met an Olympian. How neat!

University of Georgia football game in Athens with my Miss Georgia’s Outstanding Teen “sister” Jameson Kenerly: Jameson was given the opportunity to twirl at a UGA game, and with Athens only being an hour from my home, obviously I wouldn’t miss it! We thankfully got to spend a lot of time together and catch up on life. Her whole family was there (minus her brother, John Lex), and whenever the Kenerlys are around, it’s bound to be a good time! 

·      Bucca Di Beppo restaurant opening in Augusta: Have any of you putt putted frozen meat balls before? I have! This was such a fun appearance, which included cutting the red ribbon, making spaghetti sauce handprints on a canvas, counting down for the spaghetti eating competition, and of course the putt putting. Because Augusta is world-famous for golf, most of the men in attendance really knew their stuff about making a good putt. After I surprised everyone by hitting four out of five meatballs into the can, I was invited to attend the Augusta National and the Masters. If only they were official invitations to play! Bucca Di Beppo also traditionally hosts the Miss America contestants in Las Vegas, so now I can’t wait to go.

·      Judge at the Miss North Georgia State Fair Pageant: It’s always nice spending time with the Miss Cobb County board. They hosted this fair pageant as a fundraiser for the Miss Cobb County Scholarship Pageant and invited me to judge the younger divisions. It was a fun and successful night.

·      Hosted a Princess/Prince Party at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta: I always volunteer at CHOA, but never have I planned and hosted an event there. A big thanks to Carly Mathis (Miss Atlanta) and Mary Ashley Tucker (Miss Cherokee Rose), who participated with me.  The patients had a blast - as did we! I was told it was the biggest event planned by a third party they’ve had in a long time. I am in the middle of planning another event for November!

·      Tea Party Etiquette Class in Macon: This event served as a fundraiser for the Miss Macon Scholarship Pageant. Little girls came to learn basic etiquette, enjoy some little treats and punch, and spend time with Miss Georgia. It’s so important to me to be a good role model for young girls so I always love these opportunities.

·      Dave FM’s Big Show for Little Voices Radiothon at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta: 92.9 Dave FM hosted a really successful radiothon to benefit CHOA. I visited with some of the patients, took lots of pictures, and answered many phones!

Between all of these appearances I have made quite a few quick trips to Columbus.  I have visited my Miss Georgia Princess Tori, seen sponsors and had dental appointments. The people of Columbus and Miss Georgia sponsors there have embraced me so kindly, it’s quickly become a happy “home away from home.”

I am also happy to say my talent music and choreography are done! I have been going to the ballet studio when I can to rehearse, and of course getting to the gym and Pilates studio when I can as well. I have quickly learned this year is all about balance - finding a balance in being Miss Georgia and attending various events, while working hard to prepare for Miss America (which is now in three months!)  I have become a master at quickly packing in a small suitcase, enjoying long car rides with my satellite radio, resting when I can, and going with the flow.

The next few weeks and months sure aren’t slowing down:  This weekend, I headed to Bartow, Georgia for an Archery Tournament that benefits my platform, the Sibling Support Project.  I then booked it back to Atlanta to sign, not sing, the National Anthem at the Atlanta Braves game Saturday night (I could not be happier about this exciting opportunity!).  After church on Sunday morning, I’m went to Jesup Sunday night until Tuesday to work with Jameson on some surprises for the Miss Capital City Pageant (the local title we both held this past year).  I then went from Jesup to Columbus on Tuesday afternoon to go White Water Rafting with Uptown Columbus, then home for two days.  I’ll be at Miss Capital City rehearsal next Friday (Oct. 5) then drive up to Rome Friday night to appear at the Coosa Valley Fair Pageant Saturday morning, then it’s back to Atlanta in time for the Miss Capital City pageant Saturday night - and I will stop there J I will post another update after Miss Capital City filling you all in on these appearances and what’s to come in the near future.

I also want to take a quick moment to thank those of you who have been praying for me these past few months and will continue to do so; those of you who send me sweet and encouraging Facebook messages; and those of you who have always been so supportive. It truly means more than I can express in words. God has certainly blessed me with an incredible job this year, fun yet meaningful opportunities, and most importantly, people who care. So again, thank you!

I have been reminding myself of this particular verse through all of the busyness. “But I trust in you, O LORD; I say ‘You are my God.’ My times are in your hands.” –Psalm 31:14-15

Time to go organize now….

- Love in Christ,
Leighton 

No comments:

Post a Comment